The Lehigh Water Gap Bridge toll house and east bridge abutment, along with the accompanying chain bridge, were constructed circa 1826 across the Lehigh River in upper Northampton and Lehigh Counties at what was called Weider’s Crossing about ½ mile below the Lehigh Gap proper. Despite the removal the chain bridge itself in 1933, the toll house continues to exist largely intact along with the east abutment of the chain bridge.
Two explanatory documents
Some additional images
- View from the west of the toolhouse showing the remains of the two chain bridge piers in the Lehigh River; photo credit Richard Mussellman (2019)
- Chain Bridge at Lehigh Gap, Pa. over Lehigh River. April 1926; Llewellyn N. Edwards (1873-1952); photo credit: Division of Work and Industry, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution
- Photograph showing the chain bridge after its reconstruction after the 1926 fire. The view is looking east across the span; photo credit: Historical Society of Pennsylvania
- View of the burned bridge; this postcard was based on a photograph that appered in The Morning Call, 30 May 1926