Cultural milieu page
Listen to some of the
music of the Great War, including the hit songs
It's a Long Way to Tipperary and George Cohan's
Over There. There are many collections of Ragtime music available on the web, including the
West Coast Ragtime Society. The
Veterans Affairs Department in Canada maintains a
site English Songs
Popular during the First World War.
Other cultural phenomena from 1919 and 1920:
- the movie Das Kabinett des Doktor Caligari
(The Cabinet of Dr.Caligari, 1920), directed by Robert Wiene.
Though not a box office success, it was the first horror film and
signaled the onset of the cultural movement know as German
- Ludwig Wittgenstein's Tractatus-Logico Philosophicus (aka Logisch-Philosophische Abhandlung, 1921) appeared and became one of the most important philosophical books of the twentieth century. When
Wittgenstein was a prisoner-of-war, captured by the Italians, John
Maynard Keynes was able to have the book taken back to England where
Bertrand Russell read it.
- DADA cultural movement
- The Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918
- Walter Gropius founded the Bauhaus
- John Maynard Keynes published The Economic Consequences of the Peace (1919)
- Ballets Russes (under the directorship of Sergei Diaghilev) continued to perform
- In 1919 President Woodrow Wilson was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize recipient
This page is copyright © 2005-09, C.T.
For information contact email@example.com