Required course assignments
- Course formal introduction in unit 1 = 10 points
- Discussion postings in units 1, 13 and 16 = 15 points (3 posts @ 5 points each)
- Reflective paragraph in unit 16 = 20 points
- Creation of a blog to record your work in this course (20 points) plus eleven substantial posts and comments @ 10 points each (110 points)
- Midterm Exam = 125 points
- Final Exam = 150 points
- You must do at least 300 points of these assignments, and you may do more. (You will submit on Canvas as a choice assignment; the submission link is in module 15.)
- Completion of a project proposal (50 points) in unit 8
- Submission of the final project (200 points) in unit 13
Special Course Grading Requirements
IMPORTANT: To earn a grade of A, B, C or D, you
- must complete all required assignments
- pass BOTH exams in the course (at least a 75/125 on the midterm, at least a 90/150 on the final). If you fail to achieve either of those grades, then you will fail the course.
- earn the required number of points for an A, B, C, or D in the course.
- There are extra credit options available in each unit of the course: (1) You may submit one item of extra credit in each unit of the course; (2) you may not submit extra credit work from a unit once that unit has been completed; (3) you may not submit extra credit work if you are not up- to-date on the course required assignments.
- You can also earn extra credit at any time by (a) finding a typo, spelling error or broken link (if possible find a replacement link) or (b) finding any website or web materials that are relevant to this course. Please email that information (and the URL of the relevant course page) directly to your instructor. This is not subject to the "one assignment submitted per day" course rule.
Assignment Drafts and Rewrites/Resubmits
- You are encouraged to email a draft of an assignment to your instructor for informal feedback before you submit your assignment for grading. Please email well in advance of the assignment deadline. This does not apply to extra credit work.
- After you have received feedback on a submitted assignment, we do encourage the resubmission of an assignment to earn an improved grade (usually a maximum +5 points possible on a 50-point assignment and +10 points possible on a 100-point assignment). Here's the deal:
- Your grade on the assignment must be the equivalent of a "C" or lower.
- You must resubmit the rewrite before the next unit due date (usually the next Thursday or Monday).
- You may not rewrite/resubmit extra credit work.
- You may not submit a rewrite on the same day that you submit any other assignment or extra credit work.
- Your rewrite/resubmit must show definite improvement to earn an improved grade.
- Occasionally your instructor might request that you resubmit an assignment. This might be, for example, if your submission did not directly address the assignment question or if your submission was incorrectly formatted. This is for your benefit.
- There are specific assignment deadlines in this course, and these are listed on the course schedule. You may submit any of the course required assignments late, but the maximum point value will then be reduced by one-half.
- You may not take a required midterm or final exam late.
- You may not submit a late group project.
Check out some Example Assignments and Sample Test Items so you have a good idea of the kind of assignments that are required in the course.
To grade assignments in the course, we often use a rubric for the paragraph assignments and another for the paper assignments. Here is information on how to access those rubrics.